How to travel in style and on the cheap too…
It’s safe to assume that we all love a good deal and above else, love to travel on the cheap. And guess what? Securing that dream budget vacation isn’t rocket science, in fact with proper planning and forward thinking it’s easily attained. Those are the rules travel hosts Kirstie Allsopp and Phil Spencer live by on their show Vacation, as they track down the best budget and luxury holiday destinations in order to show viewers how to beat the system and enjoy the best for less. They’ve imparted some of their essential tips for you to enjoy them too:
1. Travel off-season. Search online to find out the off-peak season of the country that you are planning to visit.
2. Advance planning. It is advisable to plan your trip at least 10 months to a year ahead as you may get cheaper air tickets and accommodations.
3. Independent accommodations. Find cheaper hotel rates on online portals such as Agoda.com, Expedia.com and booking.com. If you are travelling in a group, check out AirBnB to discover unique and affordable accommodations. For lone travellers, ‘Couchsurfing’ is a good way to save on your accommodation, and you get to meet new friends too.
4. Eat like a local. Explore restaurants and cafes that are a couple of blocks away from touristy areas and you will find good food much cheaper.
5. Stay longer. Spend more time in each location as it will be more meaningful, less expensive and a less hectic experience instead of jam-packing your itinerary.
6. Get rid of fancy travel gear. Pack light and comfortable. Keep everything simple and borrow items from friends instead of purchasing new ones just for the trip.
7. Travel double occupancy. When travelling with someone, sharing a room will be cheaper than booking two separate rooms.
8. Stick to your travel budget. Plan ahead on how much you are willing to spend for the overall trip for each component like airfare, hotel accommodations, entertainment and meals.